Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Lunch Tables

The day of give-a-thon my friends and I were not able to find a table in our normal spot for lunch because the collection of gifts and food took up alot of the wood commons. After searching for a table, were were unsucesful and finally decided to just sit at a random table where two girls had left their backpacks. We were in the old builiding in the random spot with a few lunch tables and all the vending machines (the tyson and coffee one). We were planning on just asking the girls if they minded sharing a table with us when they returned. Wehn they did return, they seemed very confused and left immediately, I guess to get more food. A few minutes later thy returned and took their bags and food and said that they were going to sit somewhere else. They could it be. They left and my friends all felt kind of bad because we technically stole their table, seemed very nice and they assured us we weren't the reason they were moving, but what else even though we were happy to spend a lunch at the same table as them. This reminded me of the video we watched in class of the high school girls. It is kind of pathetic that even at Stevenson we can not mix different groups. However, at SHS I don't think we have cliques as extreme as the school in Texas. Yes I have a group of friends I normally hang out with but that does not mean I won't spend time with my other friends if I see them. I think the reason we have these groups is for secuirty. It is always good to have people to go to football games with, go to dinner with, and just have their when you need them. So at lunch when the girls left it probably wasn't because they were afraid it was just simply because we weren't in their group and out of their comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. Thats so true...many people here like their "comfort zones" and even if not threatened, they don't like to be around people they don't know.

    ReplyDelete