Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Fancy Fridge- Wealth

I think that all the extra stuff in life is a very accurate predicator of social class. Everyone needs a house with the basics such as a bed, a refidgerator, a shower, etc. Yet a bed can range in price from $50 to $50000. The things we buy, regardless if we need them or not, show our social class. Everyone needs a roof over their heads, yet why is it that the wealthier people spend over $1 million on a house when in Waverly, Ohio, you can get the same house for only $2oo,ooo. Things like this convince me that class is related to the things we own and how willing we are to spend money on the basics (such as a bed). When my parents decided to redo my kitchen, my mom picked out a fridge that is paneled in wood with a touch screen water dispenser. Because the fridge is covered in wood, I literally have to plant my feet and yank the door with both hands to open the door to the fridge or else it won't open because its so heavy. Also, I couldn't hang any of my A+ tests on the fridge when I was younger b.c magnets don't stick to wood. Although the water thing is cool, that too is a pain. Because it is touch screen, there is a button called control lock that I sometimes accidentaly press. When that is pressed then I can't get water or ice because the buttons lock themselves. It takes like 10 minutes for the stupid control lock to turn off and I have to deal with sink water. It does not make sense that my parents would pay extra money to make a kitchen that is more difficult to handle. My only explanation is that my parents wanted an "up to date" kitchen to show off when they entertain.

6 comments:

  1. Its a funny thing that we brought up this idea in class because it's true, most of us [around here] just buy expensive things to show off what we can or can not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us buy things to show off our weath. We don't really need them but we want it. We could get a much more effective fridge for a cheaper price but we chose to get an expensive high tech one just to show off. This is similar to the spatula that Sal talked about. He found the exact same one at Target for $13 less but people still chose to go to Williams & Sonoma so they can show off their wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally see what you mean with your fridge example. Similarly, I think a lot of people buy certain cars in particular to show which social class they belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that where we live more people "show off" their amount of wealth of social class through cars, clothes, and other possessions. I think that in other areas around the world flaunting your material objects is something that is considered normal to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Hilary I can see you having battles with your fridge...but I know what you mean about that whole "appearance" thing. We actually just got a new fridge too, that just so happens to have a touch screen water dispenser too. When I tasted the water at first I told my mom it tasted funny but she said that it's just because it tastes so fresh. Our new fridge apparently double purifies the water so after she said that I feel like I'm drinking the freshest water ever, even though at first it tasted weird. I guess this goes with class because at first I didn't like the new fridge until my mom convinced me it was better for my health when the fridge was expensive for the purifier, but what does she know about water purification?
    P.S. Hilary you don't need magnents for you A+ papers because you never had any.
    JK Sal, I'm not actually mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're funny Hilary. Maybe your touch screen can display some of your A+ blogs since we don't have papers anyway :-)
    Amber - you are funny too :-)

    ReplyDelete