Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fear and the Media

Today in class we touched on how media affects fear. I am obsessed with all the crime shows: CSI, Law and Order, Criminal Intent and many more. I can totally relate to how these shows creat false fear, and because they do, it is very difficult to differentiate between your 6th sense which is real fear or just being paranoid from too many horror scenes. When I was a little bit younger, the crime shows would scare me when I watched. I would turn my head away at points and after, I would be extremely paranoid. They scared me so much that I would refuse to watch one of the show s when I was home alone. Now that I am older, I realize how fakes these shows are, and even tohugh I still find them entertaining, they do not scare me at all. This relates to sociology because media enstills fear in the public. People fear the most ridiculous things because they see the most normal situations turn into horror scenes on TV shows. This is not a great aspect of television because if you fear everything you see as a potential danger, you are not living life to its fullest. Furthermore, after hearing the story about your wife, it made me realize that you should never second guess your sixth sense. However, your wife thought she was just being crazy so she made the mistake of getting out of the car. Possibly she was negatively impacted by media because she thought she was just being paranoid, when in reality it was a real threat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the crime shows as well, I agree that they promote un-needed fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The media does have this fascinating why of turning something very normal into a scary/creepy scene just with the use of lighting and stuff like that. The media kind of controls our life. The media puts a false image on girls and boys as well. The media makes girls want to be skinny and pefect while it makes boys want to be macho and tough.

    ReplyDelete